The University of New Brunswick, Saint John Campus, is home to more than 3000 students, faculty and staff and includes 24 multi-purpose buildings: classrooms, labs, offices, athletic facilities, student residences and more. These buildings are maintained by a skilled and dedicated team of building operators and trades people, and are led by Director of Facilities Management, Kevin Simpson. Kevin and his team work diligently to ensure that UNBSJ’s buildings are meticulously maintained and managed around the clock, 365 days a year.
Kevin and his team are constantly looking for ways to improve their processes and systems. With the campus’ large and complicated facilities network, time management and streamlined processes are of critical importance. Ultimately, Kevin wanted to:
- Consolidate items and suppliers
- Improve the storage capacity of the main storeroom to allow consolidation of 3 other satellite stores; eliminating the satellite stores would reduce travel and pick time for trades.
- Improve inventory and shelf organization to allow quick and accurate picking of items.
Kevin needed to make sure his team spent more time focusing on facilities management and less time looking for items.
The Source Atlantic Solutions team designed and implemented:
- A main storeroom improvement plan — including adding new high-density shelving to increase storage capacity by 13%. This enabled consolidating the satellite storeroom into the main storeroom, dramatically reducing trade’s travel time.
- Consolidating safety, electrical, and plumbing items and barcoding the entire facility (i.e.: item ID, description, and minimum/maximum stocking requirement).
- A Vendor Managed Inventory program for their facilities, where a Source Atlantic technician visits weekly to monitor stock levels and replenish as needed, ensuring high fill rates. The burden of inventory management and PO entry is placed on the Source Atlantic technician.
Key Metrics Impact
- Trades’ travel time
- PO entry
- Invoicing through a consolidated VMI monthly invoice
- Expanding facilities footprint
- Inventory value
- Item fill rate
- Spend analysis
Could your company capitalize on a more efficient inventory management system? Contact your account manager today to discuss or arrange a consultation with our solutions team.